Meet Macau Chapter II: Basic Information
The following is the basic knowledge about Macau. It is convenient for you to live, work or travel in Macau, let you be well prepared.
1. Macao was once governed by Portugal. On December 20, 1999, Portugal handed over the sovereignty of Macao to the People's Republic of China, ending more than 400 years of governance history.
2. Macao's main industry is the gaming industry, which is also a free port for economic and trade. It is still an important bridge for trade between China and Portuguese-speaking countries.
3. The common language of Macao people is Cantonese. Even native Portuguese people are fluent in Cantonese. Macao is a pluralistic society. Therefore, simple English and Mandarin are no difficult for Macao people. The official languages are Chinese and Portuguese.
4. Macao people are religiously open, and Catholicism, Christianity, Taoism and Buddhism can all coexist and coexist, based on the absence of specific religious taboos.
5. Macau is located in the southeastern coast of mainland China. It has a subtropical climate and is generally hot in summer. The average temperature in autumn is 20 to 30 degrees Celsius. There will also be typhoons. Special attention should be paid to humidity, because in winter, if humidity is high, then in the case of wet weather, apparent temperature will be several times colder than the actual temperature.
6. Telephone, Macau's international calling codes is 853.
7. In terms of water source, all water released in the tap needs to be boiled before drinking.
8. In terms of electricity, in Macao the voltage is 220V, use the Type G electrical plug is the same as Hong Kong, England.
9. The official currency of Macao is Macau Patacas (MOP). The common denominations are 0.1, 0.5, 1, and 5, and there are also 0.2 and 10, but the market is less likely to appear 0.2 and 10. The banknotes are issued by two Macao banks, namely the BNU and the Bank of China (Macau) branch. There are 10, 20,50, 100, 500, and 1000. Please see the picture below.
10. Macau can also use Hong Kong dollars, but the exchange rate is calculated at 1:1. CNY is not tradable.
11. Is there free Wifi in Macau?
Yes, although not all of Macau, basically there are free Wifi in various Macau World Heritage attractions or popular tourist locations.
Basically, each mobile device can enjoy a total of no less than 60 minutes accumulated free Wi-Fi service daily with no limit on the numbers of connection at each service location. Please see the next chapter, can access to find all wifi point in Macau.
12.The last and very important piece of information is where is the public toilet in Macau?
There are many public toilet in Macau, Please see the next chapter, can access to official page to find all public toilets in Macau.
Macau WiFiGo Logo
Macau Free WiFi.MO Logo
The Macao socket is a three-legged plug (BS1363), and the socket voltage is 220V and the same as Hong Kong or England. However, some old-style hotels may still use the old round-head sockets (BS546). If you are lucky enough to meet them, then see if you have a universal universal conversion plug.
old model socket
Here are the Macau coins:
Macao currency notes - BNU -photo: http://www.amcm.gov.mo
Macao currency notes- Bank of China (Macau) branch -photo: http://www.amcm.gov.mo
❖Next chapter III: Public Service and Telephone
❖Back to previous chapter: Weather Information